Thursday 2 February 2012

Finished! The January Edition

Finally, January is over. Is it just me or did it feel like the longest month ever? I was really willing it to be over for a few reasons. Firstly, I want spring to come. I've had enough of the dark afternoons and mornings, I want it to be daylight when I get up and daylight when I'm cooking dinner by my south-west facing kitchen window. I want flowers in the garden, cherry blossoms on the trees down the street. Secondly, I couldn't wait for Guerlain's spring collection to be finally released. And thirdly, I'd already exceeded my monthly beauty budget by the middle of the month and I desperately needed it to be February to start again. Sadly it has turned really cold in the UK, so there's no sign of spring yet unfortunately.

At least, with January being such a long month (or at least it felt like it), I've managed to finish a few products, so there are some positives there too. A lot of the products I finished this month I have reviewed on here at some point, so I will just link them to the reviews instead of repeating myself.

First though here's something I've not reviewed before, this is Avon Skin So Soft Signature Silk Nourishing Body Cream. I used to buy lots of Avon products a while ago, and I'm still finishing some of them off. This particular body cream sadly isn't a good example of Avon's good quality products. Very pretty packaging, nice scent, but a pretty rubbish moisturiser. It sort of feels like body butter, at least it's texture, but it's not at all that creamy and doesn't really spread well, so you actually use up quite a lot of cream, and it's not even that moisturising. So it's a no from me I'm afraid.


See what other products I used up after the jump!



I bought YSL Top Secret Flash Radiance Skincare Brush quite a while ago, and used it a few times, but wasn't really sure about, so it just sat on my cupboard for ages, until I decided it was finally time to use it up. It's hard to say what it does exactly, it's a face perfector primer I guess but it also doubles up as a face cream, I tend to just use it under my foundation. You do have to wait a good 5 minutes after applying it because it doesn't absorb very quickly and it does leave my skin quite slippery for a while. I'm not too sure what it really does for me, I can't really see any difference to my skin when I use it, so for that reason I will not repurchase it. That and the fact that it cost £38 for 40 ml.


I don't normally review hair products on the blog mostly because I tend to just use the same L'Oreal products all the time. I have naturally wavy/curly hair that I like to dry straight and keep straight, but of course I get the attack of the frizz as soon as it's slightly damp outside. So I decided to try out this Frizz Ease Glossing Mist from John Frieda to see if it works any better than my usual L'Oreal Elvive Smooth-Intense Anti-Frizz Serum which to be honest isn't that great. I wasn't overly thrilled with this either to be honest. I didn't find that my hair looked any glossier than without or less frizzy when the air turned humid, and also this was so smelly. I have long hair and quite a lot of it, so I had to spray a lot of this on my hair and I'd have to stick my head out the window halfway through as it was just so smelly. Maybe I should try the original hair serum from John Frieda and see if that works better for me.  


Next up is something I actually rather liked. Before Christmas I gave into the temptation and purchased the massive Soap & Glory set Boots had on offer for less than half price, so for £25 you got 12 full size products which was an absolute bargain. Among others was Off Your Face a pack of 25 cleansing cloths. I can't find this on the Boots website, so no idea how much this costs individually, but Soap & Glory products are generally not too expensive anyway. These are what they claim to be, they are facial cleansing cloths. They contain alcohol, so I wouldn't recommend you use them on your eyes, in fact these are not really make up remover wipes, they're more for cleansing off whatever is left after removing your make up. My skin's not too sensitive, so the alcohol didn't worry me, but this is certainly something to keep in mind if your skin is sensitive. I don't think I will repurchase this, but I did like it. 


Here are some few things I have reviewed on the blog before, so I will just link them to the original reviews. First up is Lancome Bi-Facil make up remover. It's great for removing waterproof make up and I will probably repurchase it, although I'm also keen to try out the Boots Botanics Soothing Eye Make Up Remover as I've heard it's a very good dupe but much cheaper.


My hands can get really dry in winter (although this winter has been unseasonably mild), but this Rituals Hand Therapy Handscrub has really helped to keep my hands moisturised. I bought this over a year ago, but I don't use it during warmer months and it does last a good while anyway, so only just got around to finishing it. Luckily I have another one since the weather has turned very cold, so I'll be using it a lot more frequently now. I will keep repurchasing it, as I love it. Not so keen on the handcream that I bought with it (see my original review), not as moisturising as the handscrub, although it's not bad.


I have also finished my beloved No 7 Exceptional Definition mascara that I used in many many FOTDs on the blog, it lasted me about 4 months before running out. Would definitely repurchase it if I didn't already have loads of mascaras that need using up.


I managed to use up another one of Collection 2000 Illuminating Touch concealer this month, having used one up already last month, butt that's because I keep one in my downstairs toilet for quick touch ups during the day. You can read my review on it here.  


Another thing I finished this month that I also finished one of last month as they were both small size. It's a sample of Benefit Foamingly Clean Facial Wash. Not a masssive fan of this, will not buy the full size product.


Well that's it for this month. I'm thinking I might not carry on with these posts as  I tend to repeat myself quite a lot, so I might change this to reviewing products that I finished individually and leaving out the ones I keep repurchasing.  Let me know in the comments what you think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...